Thursday, September 26, 2013

"Have a Great Night"

I thought I was just going to the grocery store after work to get bread, cereal, juice and a few other essentials.  Boring, but necessary. I had no idea that I would receive so much more by the time I walked out the door.

I shopped in sort of a hurried haze.  My movements and choices were so automatic that I hardly had to think about what I was doing, other than making sure I bought the cereal with the almonds instead of the raisins this time. Okay, time to checkout – find the shortest line – almost done – I’m tired – just want to get home. Whew, I found a check out lane with no one else in line, yes!!

The young man working the cash register was chatting with the girl who was the bagger.  He was explaining that his mom was working two jobs now, yet things were still rough, money-wise. He was glad it was payday. He was going to give her part of his check to help out this month. The girl bagging told him she understood.  She shared that her mother wouldn’t get home until late that night from work so she cleaned the house to surprise her mom. As I finished putting my groceries on the conveyor belt, I just had to say something.  “I heard you talk about how you are helping out at home and I think it is pretty awesome.” They both just smiled.


After I was efficiently checked-out and my expertly bagged groceries were in the cart, I was told to “Have a great night”.   And I thought to myself, thank you, I already did.


No comments:

Post a Comment